Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Mini Review Tuesday: May Wrap Up

Hey Everyone,

Today's review post is of all the books I read in the month of May. Now, I'm going to be honest with you in saying that I was in a massive reading slump in May and only managed to read a few little children's books. I have yet to finish a regular book but have now started reading a few books and will hopefully complete one of them in June. So let's get into the books I read in May.

Title: The Bad Guys: Episode 1
Author: Aaron Blabey
Publication Year: 2015
Publisher: Scholastic Australia
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25448261-the-bad-guys
Sentence Summary: The big bad wolf is tired of being seen as a bad guy and so he ventures out with some other "misunderstood" creatures to show that they are actually good.
Mini Review: I discovered this book at work when we first received it as a new release. A workmate and I thought it looked cute and started to flick through it and thought it was hilarious. I then decided to buy it and read it straight away. I re-read it this month as the newest book in the series came out at the beginning of the month. I absolutely loved this book and thought it was really funny. The story follows The big bad wolf who starts off the book explaining to the reader that he isn't as bad as the stories make him out to be. He then becomes determined to prove it by recruiting three other characters (Mr Snake, Mr Piranha and Mr Shark) who are also normally seen as bad guys and plans to go out and do something heroic. This is a great book for both children and adults as there is a little bit of humour for everyone within story. The text is also accompanied by awesome art work by Blabey who also writes and illustrates his own children's picture books. I really loved everything about this book despite how simple the story was. I could really tell that Blabey put in a lot of little details into the art and the dialogue which I found really entertaining. I highly recommend this book and will probably be reading the other two books that are currently out, really soon.
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars!


Title: WeirDo
Author: Anh Do
Publication Year:2013 
Publisher: Scholastic Australia
Goodreads Link: 'https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18480601-weirdo
Sentence Summary: Weir has just moved into his new school and has to introduce himself to new people but with a name like Weir Do, how will he make friends if people just want to laugh at him.
Mini Review: This is a children's book series that I have had my eye on for a while and so I finally picked up the box set of all the books (that were out at the time) for Christmas. Being in a reading slump, I decided to finally start reading this series because they were short and full of illustrations which is what I generally like reading when I don't feel like reading anything extensive. I must say that I didn't really know what to expect jumping into this book but none the less, I still really enjoyed it. The story was pretty much an introduction to the main character, Weir and talks about some his interests, strengths and his family. The author of this book, Anh Do is a very popular Australian Comedian and so I just knew that there would be a lot of humour in this book. Also the illustration in this book (which were done by Jules Faber) were awesome as they may have just been in black and while but there was still a great deal of detail within each image. This book is definitely perfect for first time readers to chapter books as there isn't a lot of text, it is filled with illustrations and it has a lot of jokes that children will love.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!


Title: WeirDo 2: Even Weirder 
Author: Anh Do
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Scholastic Australia
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22594984-weirdo2-even-weirder
Sentence Summary: A new adventure that finds Weir trying to make a good impression to a girl that he really likes.
Mini Review: After enjoying the first book, I figured I would slowly continue the series by reading the next book which was this one. I again really liked the story as this time it followed Weir in a new situation where he was trying to impress a girl named Bella, who he happens to have a huge crush on. We also got to have a closer look at his family which I found to be really interesting as we saw that they were quite a strange bunch of characters but were still hilarious, fun and caring. I think that I may have enjoyed this book a little bit more than the last one as it was less of a introduction to the series and actually had a main plot. I also once again, really liked the illustrations that were by Jules Faber as they were full of fun and had great detail as well. I am really enjoying the series so far and so I will definitely be reading the rest of the books that are currently soon, in the coming months. I really recommend this series so far as it is a great early reading book that is perfect for children who are venturing out into chapter books for the first time.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!

So those are the books I read in the month of May. It isn't very much and hope I read more in the coming months. What did you read in May?

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe