Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Review Tuesday: Batman Vol 1-3 By Scott Snyder

Hey Everyone,

Today's review is of another DC comic series that I have started but have yet to finish. The Scott Snyder run of the Batman series is one that I have been following for about a year now and in 2015, I was able to read the first 3 volumes as well as volume 5. I hope to catch up and read the rest of the volumes soon but for now I will just review the three volumes for you guys today.

Let's get into it!

Series Title: Batman (Batman Vol. II)
Author: Scott Snyder
Illustrator/s: Greg Capullo & Jonathan Glapion
Number of Books: 8 (Currently)
Series Summary: A new era of adventures and missions of the Dark knight as he comes face to face with both old and new enemies who want to take him down and claim the Gotham city as their own. Accompanied by not only his side kick, Robin but by his whole Bat-Family that include Batgirl and Nightwing, Can Batman protect his city as well as maintain his positive social image as Bruce Wayne?


Title: Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: DC Comics
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15798376-batman-vol-1
Review: I went through a huge comic book kick throughout 2015 and that’s when I finally got into DC Comics. I actually started off by reading the fifth volume of the series as I was looking for a book that specifically had the Riddler in it and the salesman recommended for me to read number five and said I wouldn’t need to read the prior books. After finishing that book, I was completely hooked and wanted to start the series from the very beginning. This volume was definitely a good start for the new batman story as it builds the world and the story surrounding Batman. It was perfect for someone like me who knew very little about the previous Batman books as it explained what needed to be explained during scenes and so it all made perfect sense. It is quite obvious that this was the first book of the series as it wasn’t anything extraordinary but it did leave the story in an exciting position at the end. At times it did get boring but I tried to not let it get to me as I know it was just mainly made to give a taste of what was yet to come in the next volume. One thing that I did really like in particular was the art work/style as I felt it fit perfectly with the story and the atmosphere it was trying to establish. This was a great way to start off my Batman obsession but can definitely say that the plot does get better with each volume.
Star Rating: 3/5 Stars!


Title: Batman Volume 2: The City Of Owls
Publication Year: 2013
Publisher: DC Comics
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17671909-batman-vol-2
Review: After finishing volume one (which was the first half of this story arc) it did take me about a week to complete the next volume but that doesn't mean that it wasn't good as it was more due to  the facts ofhaving no time to read it. I really loved this volume from start to finish as there were so many side stories that were connected to the Court of Owls and I really enjoyed reading them. It was amazing to be able to also get perspectives of the whole situation from other characters and not just from the Dark Knight himself. Again the art was amazing and portrayed the story really well. I really hope this art style continues in all the future volumes. I was definitely excited to read the next volume after reading this volume but I did need to take a little break from it as I was left to gather my thoughts on the ending of this story arc. There wasn't an absolutely clear ending to the mystery of the Court of Owls as it seemed to not be fully resolved by the end of this one but I’m sure that was the intention of the writer. This book was way better from the first volume and really set the bar for the future publications.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars!


Title: Batman Volume 3: Death Of The Family
Publication Year: 2013
Publisher: DC Comics
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17671913-batman-vol-3
Review: After the Court of Owl arc, I took a little break from the Batman universe to explore other characters and stories. About 3 or 4 months after finishing volume 2, I finally picked up volume 3. This volume focuses mainly on the character relationship between Batman and the Joker and I thought it was fantastic. I really enjoyed the main plot for the arc as it was completely insane which is perfect for anything the Joker is in. Batman is definitely a strong character which I was able to see in the Court of Owls Arc. I always love reading the feud between Batman and Joker as I find that Joker's mind is always so interesting to read about as it seems quite complex and at times mind boggling. Like the previous volumes, the art in this book was fantastic and very fitting for the tone of the book as it used a lot of blacks and greys which was perfect for this quite dark story. Another thing that I really liked about this arc/book, was seeing Batman’s more sensitive side as you get to see more of how much he actually cares for his family which I thought was pretty amazing. I will definitely be continuing the Batman series as I’m loving watching Batman grow as a hero.
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars!


OVERALL: The change of plot from the first volume to even just the third is quite amazing and I can honestly say that the books are generally getting better with each volume. So far, my least favourite book of the series is the first book but I just want to point out that they do get way more intense as the story progresses. So if you don't end up liking the first volume, I recommend pushing through the boring bits and making your way through the other volumes as they do get more action packed and emotion filled. I'm really liking this series so far and really need to catch up. And with volume 9 coming out quite soon, hopefully I can get a review up for the next few books really soon.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe