Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Characters You Defend

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is all about characters that I tend to defend when talking about particular books with other people. We are all guilty of doing it and I am no exception to this as everyone has characters that they love and that they hate which may be different to someone else's. So here are my top 5 characters that I always defend. Let's get into it.


5. Draco Malfoy From The Harry Potter Series By J.K. Rowling

Since finishing the series, I finally got more insight into Draco's life and story. Prior to this, I hated him purely based on his behaviour in the first couple movies. I now find myself actually defending his behaviour when other people tend to shut him down. It all kind of makes sense at the very end of the series. I'm not saying he was a great person but in the end you really see him turn around. (Photo: Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy in the films)



4. Eleanor Douglas From Eleanor & Park By Rainbow Rowell

Though this is not a common one that I have to defend, I do sometimes do have discussions with people about this book and I've found that some people really didn't like her. I really felt for Eleanor throughout the story and especially as things start to unravel. I do like to tell people how brave she was throughout the book despite all the bad things that happen around her. She is definitely an admirable character who doesn't care that she's different which sometimes people mistake as just not trying to be 'Normal" or purely being an unfortunate person. (Photo: An illustration found on Rebloggy by Taryn Draws which you can find HERE.)

3. Hannah Baker From Thirteen Reasons Why By Jay Asher

This is one person that I do defend quite a bit when it comes to discussing this book. Thirteen Reasons Why, is one of my favourite books and Hannah is definitely a character I can relate to in some ways. A lot of people see what she did with the tapes as just a way to blame people for her suicide where as I feel like people are missing the point she is trying to make. What I saw was a girl trying to seek help but no-one realised from her signals. The tapes are her way of not blaming people but to say how everything or how these particular people affected her. I can see why people would see differently but I will always see something else when I'm thinking about this book           

2. Edward Cullen From The Twilight Saga By Stephenie Meyer

An obvious choice for this list was Edward Cullen from Twilight. When I first read this book, I would get into heated discussions with people about who was better between Edward and Jacob. I always defended Edward of all the actions he did, even if they hurt Bella. I personally didn't like Bella very much but I thought Edward was amazing and very reasonable with everything he did. I don't have to defend him as much anymore as now-a-days I simply need to defend the entire series from haters. #TeamEdwardFTW (Photo: Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen in the films)

1. The Wicked Witch Of The West From The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ By L. Frank Baum

So the number one character that I always defend no matter what is always the Wicked Witch Of The West. Now I will be honest and say that this may be because of the book Wicked by Gregory Maguire which is a retelling of The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ but told from the perspective of the witch throughout her life. I loved that book and the musical which was based off it as it told a really different story of this hated witch. Now whenever I read or watch anything to do with the Wizard of OZ, I always say that she isn't a bad person and I always make sure I make my point so people don't argue with me. I realise that that's not how she was suppose to be seen in the original classic series but it is the way I see her now. (Photo: An illustration found on Deviant Art by GabMouse of The Witch as depicted in Wicked. It can be found HERE.)

So those are the top 5 characters that I will always defend when talking about them. Be sure to let me know what your top 5 is for this week and don't forget to check out the Top 5 Wednesday group on goodreads.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe