Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mini Review Tuesday: Graphic Novels III

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is a collection of mini reviews for another three graphic novels I have read. So let's jump right into it.

Title: Copper
Author: Kazu Kibuishi
Publication Year: 2010
Publisher: Graphix
Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6928839-copper
Sentence Summary: Short tales of the adventures of a boy and his talking dog.
Mini Review: Kazu Kibuishi is a Genius! After reading the Amulet series I was looking for more Kazu Kibuishi because I really loved the story and art in that graphic novel series. I then found this gem in a book store and again fell absolutely in love. Copper is a comic strip series about a boy named Copper and his dog named Fred. It tells the story of all the adventures they go on together. It was incredible! The story-lines were simple and entertaining which I liked but also some of the stories had some great meanings to them which was really fantastic. In the end, the main thing that made me love this book was the extraordinary illustrations. I am just absolutely in love with them just as I was with his other series. They are so adorable but also had such amazing detail and connections to the stories through each of the images. This book was almost a 5 stars book for me but it was set up as a story per strip and so there was not much depth to each tale. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more of the comic strips for Kibuishi ever decides to create more.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars!


Title: Adventure Time: Volume 1
Author: Ryan North, Braden Lamb & Shelli Paroline (Illustrator)
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: KaBOOM
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14498307-adventure-time-vol-1
Sentence Summary: Finn the human and Jake the dog go on crazy adventures to help and protect the inhabitants of the land of Ooo.
Mini Review: I actually discovered this series just by simply having a look in a book store in the city. I love the TV show animation, Adventure Time and so I was very happy to have found out that there are comics of it. As soon as I bought this first volume, I straight away read it in like an hour and it was great.  I loved the art and the format as I especially loved the little foot notes left by the author which I found to be really funny. I also loved the characters so much as they were exactly the same as how they are from the show itself, which was awesome and helped make the comics just has humorous as the show. Although in saying all of this, I must admit that the story line wasn't all that great which is why it wasn't a 5 stars for me as it was quite basic and not as crazy as I was expecting. I am still looking forward to picking up the other volumes and comics that are out for this series because I would love to see what other adventures Jake and Finn go on with all their other friends.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!


Title: A Wrinkle In Time: Graphic Novel 
Author: Madeleine L'Engle & Hope Larson (Adaptor)
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Margaret Ferguson Books
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13513205-a-wrinkle-in-time
Sentence Summary: Meg with her brother Charles and their friend Calvin, are asked by a stranger to come on an extraordinary adventure with them that may threaten their lives or even their universe.
Mini Review: I first heard about this book from Jesse over at JesseTheReader on Youtube. He had read the original book and I thought it sounded interesting. I then heard that it was quite a difficult book to understand and so when I found out there was a graphic novel adaptation, I straight away picked up a copy. I figured it would be easier to understand if I were to visually read it rather than just read the book and I must admit that it really didn't help. Honestly this book was still very hard for me to understand. I loved the concept of the story as I did kind of gather where it was trying to go but I simply just lost interest towards the middle until the end. The characters were also quite hard to connect to as I felt that they were on a different level to me in both age and way of thinking as sometimes I had no idea where their thoughts were taking them. It is a very smart book with lots of references to science, maths and English which is what I think made me so confused. I think overall the best thing about the book was the art which I absolutely loved. I've never read a Hope Larson book before and I loved her art style. I also thought that the balance between text and image was perfect as there wasn't a huge amount of text either which is how I like my graphic novels. I'm glad I read it for the sake of saying I've read it but I will probably never read it again.
Star Rating: 3/5 Stars!

So those are my graphic novel mini reviews for the week. Let me know in the comments any graphic novels that you think I would enjoy as I'm always on the lookout for more to read.

I hope you are having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe