Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books You Did Not Finish (DNF)

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is all about books I did not finish. Now before we get into the books, I would like to point out that I don't normally DNF (did not finish) books and so it was difficult for me to think of 5 titles. In saying this there are some books that I have marked are "couldn't finish" on goodreads that I am still considering whether or not to pick back up. So those books have been added to this list and I will also give a sentence or two about why I didn't finish it. So here's the top 5 books that I DNF!

5. Fun Home By Alison Bechdel

This was my most recent DNF but I was really close to finishing it before I gave up on it. I was really excited to be finally reading this graphic memoir because I had heard so many good things about it. I really liked the art but the memoir itself was quite confusing for me and I had a hard time keeping up with the events that occurred. Maybe someday I might attempt it again but right now I don't wish to finish it.




4. Vampire Academy By Richelle Mead

This book was recommended to me by a school friend back in high school who loved the series. I tried reading this book a couple of times now but was unable to get through the whole thing both times. I thought the story was an interesting concept but I just couldn't get myself to finish it. I have since picked up the graphic novel versions and have really enjoyed those. Currently there is only the first books in graphic novel form and so I might try the books again so that I can continue the story.



3. City Of Glass By Cassandra Clare

I started this series back when City of Heavenly Fire was just about to be released. I wanted to read all the books before it came out but got stuck on the 3rd book in the series. I really enjoyed the first book and thought the 2nd book was okay but then I struggled with this book. I thought the multiple perspectives was getting confusing and hard to keep up with as I was constantly being introduced to new characters in each chapter. This is another series that I am on the fence about trying again as one of my best friends loves this series and is continually telling me that it gets better. 


2. The Lover's Dictionary By David Levithan

Another book that I was extremely excited about when I started reading it. There was so much about this book that I hated but the main thing was that layout of the book. It was really confusing as the events were out of order but no dates were given. It also made me feel really dumb with some of the words they used as I would constantly have to use an actual dictionary to understand why it was used. It just got really annoying and so I stopped reading it. I don't think it will be something I will pick up again as I don't think I'll like it more the second time round. 


1. The Jesus Man By Christos Tsiolkas

This was a book that was allocated for a book club I made with a couple of my friends but couldn't finish it. From the moment I started reading it, I knew that I wouldn't like it very much but I really wanted to finish it since it was out of my comfort zone. Unfortunately I just couldn't do it. The main reason behind this was that a lot of the content within this book was something that I was uncomfortable reading about. It was such a shocking book which I think the author is known for but it just wasn't for me.



So those are my top 5 DNF books that I have tried reading at one time or another. As mentioned in this list there is a couple of titles that I am still considering trying again but just not at the moment. Let me know what your top 5 is this week and don't forget to check out the Top 5 Wednesday group on goodreads.

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe