Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mini Review Saturday: January Wrap Up

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is a collection of reviews on the books I read in January. So I'm a bit late but I realised I didn't post a wrap up on here of how I did that month. I was able to read a total of 3 books and 1 novella which was a great result for me.

So here we go!

Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19487009-ugly-love
Sentence Summary: When Tate and Miles meet for the first time, they feel an immediate attraction towards each other but what happens if Tate begins to want more in their arrangement and Miles just wants to keep it casual?
Mini Review: An interesting look at a very different type of love/relationship. I did enjoy reading this book and it was quite a quick read once I had the time to read it. The writing was so easy to get into. I'm still not sure how I felt about the dual perspective as I did find that I enjoyed Miles' chapters more than Tate's. I didn't enjoy this one as much as Maybe Someday as it was definitely a different kind of book and does have more adult content which I don't normally find myself reading. Tate was quite annoying at times as I tried to relate to her at times but couldn't. Also a lot of stuff that happened in this book, I felt happened a bit too quickly and dramatically. So there was a lot of mixed feelings throughout the book but overall it was an okay book and I will still be checking out Colleen Hoover's other books.
Star Rating: 2.5/5 Stars!




Title: The Widow
Author: Fiona Barton
Publication Year: 2016
Publisher: Bantam Press
Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25613620-the-widow
Sentence Summary: Jean Taylor's life is turned upside down after her husband is accused of a terrible crime and now that he's dead, Everyone wants to know her side of the story.
Mini Review: A great thriller! I really enjoyed reading this novel more than I originally thought I would. There is an overall topic in the book that I'm normally uncomfortable reading or talking about but with the way this one was written I was able to kind of understand it more and why it happens. I kind of feel like knowing what the book was about took away a bit from the story. The beginning is a slow build up to the reveal of the crime but if you read the synopsis, that would already be known to the reader which makes the build-up pointless. Other than that, I really liked the writing as it was written in short chapters from different people’s perspectives. It was also very mysterious which made it harder for the reader to figure out who is guilty which I enjoyed. Overall it wasn't my favourite psychological thriller but I would recommend it to fans of the genre.
Star Rating: 3.5/5 Stars!


Title: Maybe Someday
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18143950-maybe-someday
Sentence Summary: After Sydney discovers her boyfriend is cheating on her with her best friend/room mate, She realises she has no other place to stay until the handsome musician (Ridge) offers her a room at his apartment.
Mini Review: My first Colleen Hoover book and I really enjoyed it. I've heard a lot about Colleen Hoover and there has always been a hype over her books and so I put it off until now. She was a really amazing writing style where the reader is able to feel for her characters and are able to picture the situations they go through. I definitely felt so many emotions reading this book, and also found myself being able to relate to some of the bits. The relationship in this tale is pretty unconventional and I think that’s what made me love it so much. I also found it quite amazing how there was an actually soundtrack to go with the book (being that the book is about music) which is so unique for books. I loved the story and the style it was written in. There were a couple things I had problems with but overall enjoyed it. I only wish there were more books to go along with this one as the story is definitely something I could read more about. The characters were people I connected with and I feel like there is still plenty of room to expand their stories. This was a great start to my 2016 for reading. Definitely recommend to everyone! An absolutely new favourite of mine.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars!


Title: Maybe Not
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23587984-maybe-not
Sentence Summary: After an awkward first encounter, Warren discovers the aggravating Bridgette is his new room mate in the connecting bedroom but despite her cold personality, why can't Warren stop thinking about her?
Mini Review: A great little novella to go with "Maybe Someday". I was so glad to see more about these characters as was sad to say bye to these characters once I finished that book. I was really fascinated by Bridgette and Warren in Maybe Someday as they are such an odd couple and so I was so glad I got to read more about them and find out why they were the they were in the book. This book definitely gave a lot of context for what happens in the last book and so I’m really happy Hoover decided to write this. I also really liked how the plot of the two books cross paths as it was good to see where this story fits in. Bridgette and Warren’s relationship is so cute in an unusual kind of way which made what they have something special and it was a joy to read. I would have read a whole book about them, If Hoover decided to write one. I still kind of wish there was more to read in this series. Colleen Hoover did good.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!


So those are all the books I read in the month of January. As you can tell, I was in a Colleen Hoover kind of mood and will hopefully read more of her books this year. Surprisingly I didn't read any graphic novels but then again in February that was all I read. So far March is going very well, so be sure to follow me on Goodreads to see what I've read so far.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe