Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Review Tuesday: Love Is The Higher Law By David Levithan

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is a review of a book that read almost 2 years ago but one that I really love. This book is Love Is The Higher Law by David Levithan who is a very well known author. So let's just jump straight in the review.

Title: Love Is The Higher Law
Author: David Levithan
First Publication Year: 2009
Publisher: Ember
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5982447-love-is-the-higher-law
Plot Summary: It was the event that shook the whole world and it took place on September 11, 2001. Claire is in her junior classroom in high school when it happens and remembers that all she needed to do was look for her younger brother. Her class mate, Peter was at a record store near the disaster when he should of been at school. Jasper is a college student had slept in that morning and missed class but was woken up to calls from his parents seeing if he's okay. Three different teens, in three different places but whose lives intertwine after the 9/11 attacks.


Full Review: Let me start by saying that this was my first David Levithan read. I actually saw this book as a recommendation on my goodreads a few years ago but I didn't feel like the book would appeal to me so I ignored it. A couple of years after that I found it in a book store for only $2 and thought I should give it a shot because then if I didn't end up liking it, I would be okay with it since I didn't much for it in the end. So I read it when I got home and to my surprise, I absolutely loved it.

Before I review the book I just wanted to put forward some thoughts about 9/11. I'm not from the US and so I wasn't as greatly affected by it as those in the country but I can still remember hearing about it when it happened that day. I was only 8 years old when it happened and didn't really understand terrorism back then but I can just remember the sadness I felt even if I didn't understand why it happened. A lot of innocent people were lost that day and even more people were affected by it from all over the world. It was definitely one of the most terrible things that has happened that we will all remember.

This book was so AMAZING!!! The book follows the events of 9/11 and how it has affected Claire, Jasper & Peter on the day and the months/years that followed. I must say that at first I wasn't really interested in the story as there wasn't a huge amount of detail as to what was happening but as the book progressed I began to feel all the emotions of the three main characters.

I found that this story is a really important one as it truly shows what people were doing when 9/11 happened. The three main characters were all doing ordinary things like being asleep or being in class when it occurred. In only a few words, Levithan was able to write and portray how quick everything moved once the first plane hit the first building. The book was also able to show how a community or rather a country can come together after such a terrible event. It showed how even those not personally connected to the tragedy were greatly affected by it as well.

Another thing I really liked was the writing style which was really beautiful. Levithan writes with a beautiful prose style that I felt was really easy to understand and follow. I had no trouble getting into the story as the writing was both simply but also presented a lot of detail. I also loved the layout of the book with each chapter being a different person and also how the book was spilt into parts which distinguished big moments. It was great to find that even when a chapter ended, it continued in the next one from another perspective. I especially really loved Jasper's character as he was the main person who wasn't sure how he felt until he meets Claire. His part in the story was the most interesting to read about that I probably would have loved the story all the same if the whole book was from his view. I liked how their 3 separate stories intertwine to create one story and you can see how they connect to one another despite being different.

Overall, I really loved this book and would definitely recommend it to everyone to read. It is only a short read but it did pack a punch. I think it was a really powerful and important read, especially for someone like me who wasn't in the country when it happened. It was interesting and informative to get that further insight into the emotions and thoughts of those who were around even from a fictional perspective. I will definitely look into reading more books about this event as even after all these years, it is still something that think about. I’ll probably be giving this book a reread soon as I feel it is important to read a book like this to help restore one’s faith in the world especially with all the tragic things that have been happening lately. I really enjoyed reading this book and found it to be a great introduction into David Levithan's story telling and way of writing. I am looking forward to reading more of David Levithan's other work in the future.

Finally, I would just like to send my thoughts and prayers to all the families and friends of those who have been affected by a tragic event like this one. Whether it be in the last month or if it was 20 years ago. I send my love and hope to you.

Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars!

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe