Saturday, March 12, 2016

Mini Review Saturday: Fiction Favourites

Hey Everyone,

Here is another Mini Review Saturday post for this week to make up for missing a post last week. This post will be a collection of short reviews for three of my favourite novels that I have yet to review on here.

Title: A Walk To Remember
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publication Year: 1999 
Publisher: Sphere
Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1054003.A_Walk_to_Remember
Sentence Summary: 1958 is a year that Landon Carter will forever remember as it was the year he fell in love with the most unexpected girl.
Mini Review: I can still remember the first time I read this book and how much it blew me away. I watched the movie adaptation before I even knew there was a book and it soon became my favourite movie. As soon as I found out it was a book first, I knew straight away that I would love it too and so I borrowed it from my library. I have since read this book multiple times and I must say that it still remains as one my all time favourite books no matter how cheesy it gets. It's a typical love story between two teenagers who are very different but it is told from the male perspective which I found really interesting since I usually read books from the female perspective. It is such a sweet and deep story about two unlikely people falling for each other despite what everyone else thinks of it and shows how love can conquer obstacles. It is beautifully written and is really detailed that you can really connect with the characters. Nicholas Sparks really knows how to mess with a reader's heart with his books. I just love this book so much; the story, the characters, the writing,  the structure, just everything. If you saw the movie by the same name, and enjoyed that then you would definitely love this book because it is definitely 10 times better with all the detail and other events that don't take place in the movie. In case you know nothing about this story I won't spoil it for you but if you like a little bit of cheesy romance, I totally recommend this book!
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars


Title: Attachments
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Orion
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10600010-attachments
Sentence Summary: Lincoln has just returned home from college with no idea where his life is headed until he starts work as an office email monitor and suddenly falls for one of the workers that he is suppose to be watching.
Mini Review: I first found this book when I was looking for a new contemporary novel to read. At the time, a lot of people were talking about Rainbow Rowell's other book, Fangirl. As I was looking at that book on Goodreads, I saw the cover for the book on the side bar and though it looked cute. Once I read the summary, I was convinced and had to read it. I just loved this book so much, the characters and the story are incredible. It is told in a kind of dual perspective style as the main plot is told from Lincoln's perspective but you also get a glimpse into Beth & Jennifer's lives through the emails that Lincoln monitors which was provided throughout the book. I found this style, really fun to read as I love to read novels that have other elements of writing besides just regular chapters. The story is also more than just an ordinary love story as it is also a self discovery story of how Lincoln finds where he wants to go in his life. I really loved the writing as it made me feel all the right emotions for each of the character's stories. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed with the ending as I wanted much more but none the less I still absolutely loved it and totally recommend it!
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars


Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publication Year: 2007
Publisher: Penguin UK
Goodreads Link:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6500026-thirteen-reasons-why
Sentence Summary: Clay Jensen finds a strange package of thirteen cassette tapes on his doorstep but as he begins to listen to them, he discovers that they are recordings by Hannah Baker, who had committed suicide only two weeks prior.
Mini Review: I can't remember how I came to find this book but I do remember that I was intrigued by the synopsis. The story follows Clay who receives thirteen tapes from Hannah who was a classmate that has committed suicide. She explains in the first tape that if you receive these tapes, that makes you are one of the reasons why she decided to take her life. That summary alone already had me interested and so as soon as I got my hands on a copy, I read it straight away in one sitting. Like Attachments, It is told in dual perspective kind of style with the main story being told from Clay's perspective but with insight into Hannah's life through the cassette tapes which are presented in italics within each chapter. There is also an interactive element where you can listen to the "actual" recordings through a blog page online that is provided at the back of the book. Having this element makes the story even more captivating as you start to feel more for Hannah by hearing her voice. This was my favourite element about the book. I will admit that I did get confused sometimes on who I was reading about but I did find my way back on track quite quickly. Overall, It was a great story as I really loved the concept of the tapes as well as reading about each of her reasons. By the end I could feel how broken down she was and how she came to her decision. I highly recommend this book as I think it's really important for people to know that their own actions could affect someone else's.
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars

So those were just a few of my favourite books that I hope you will all check out. Let me know some of your favourite books and I might check them out.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe