Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Review Tuesday: The Infernal Devices By Cassandra Clare (Graphic Novel Series)

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is a series review of The Infernal Devices Graphic Novel Trilogy by Cassandra Clare and illustrated by Hye-Kyung Baek. As a disclaimer, I am not sure how the original books compare to this version as I have only read the graphic novels and so I will be giving my honest review on this version.

So let's jump right in!

Series Title: The Infernal Devices
Author: Cassandra Clare
Illustrator: Hye-Kyung Baek
Number of Books: 3
Series Summary: Tessa Gray enters the world of supernatural creatures after being abducted on her journey to London to meet with her brother. Facing warlocks, vampires and other demons, Tessa learns that there are more to her world than meets the eye and also finds that there are more people just like her. These people call themselves Shadowhunters and they fight off evil to help humanity and now they are here to stop Tessa from being taken by a mysterious enemy called The Magister. As Tessa moves into her new life, she learns there is more to her own identity than she thought was even possible.

Title: Clockwork Angel
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Yen Press
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13226173-clockwork-angel
Review: I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel. I struggled reading the mortal instruments and was only able to read the first 3 books and so I had my worries that I wouldn't enjoy this series. I heard this series was so much better and so decided to pick up the graphic novels instead of the books. The world is the same as mortal instruments but just a different time period and different characters. I did enjoy the story of this first book but did struggle a bit with the art as I got confused who was talking and also got confused between characters as they all looked quite similar and so I wasn't able to distinguish between characters. Overall it was a good first instalment to the series and it definitely encouraged me to continue the series as the story was really interesting and action packed. I was left wanting to learn more about Will, Jem and Tessa by the end of the book as they all intrigue me. I might eventually read the original books sometime in the future if I feel like comparing the two forms of text. I actually included this book in my Top 5 list on the QBD blog which you can read here: https://blog.qbd.com.au/2015/11/06/qbds-top-5-graphic-novels/
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!



Title: Clockwork Prince
Publication Year: 2013
Publisher: Yen Press
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13226217-clockwork-prince
Review: An okay second instalment in the series as the plot fell flat for me some times. I was very excited to dive into this volume because the first book set up such a great world and characters but unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. In this book there was a lot of build up for epic battles that I felt would be fantastic and action packed but each one just did not end up being up to the standard I was expecting. There was also a lot of annoying characters in this book that I simply had no connection to. Despite there being still quite a bit of action and suspense, I did find myself wanting to follow the romance part of the book more than reading about the supernatural elements and magical parts of the plot. I did up still looking forward to reading the final instalment and seeing where it all ends but by the end of this volume I just felt like it was a slow build up to the conclusion. Overall it was okay as it had a good plot idea and a really good love triangle but I would have just liked to see more about as we lead up to the final book. Definitely my least favourite out of the three books.
Star Rating: 3/5 Stars!


Title: Clockwork Princess
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Yen Press
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13226246-clockwork-princess
Review: The final book in the trilogy which was a fantastic ending to the series. This book was definitely my favourite out of the series as the story really builds in this one and there was plenty of emotions to feel throughout the whole reading experience. I will admit that I did shed a couple tears as I got really attached the world and characters.  One of my favourite things about the book was the loyalty of all the characters within the institute to each other as well as to the Shadowhunters world. I also really loved the romance between particular characters within this volume besides the main characters (Which was also a good romance). It was amazing to watch side characters grow and also build a deep connecting with them as a reader. I wasn't the biggest fan of the last book and the first book was still lacking a bit for me but this final book really made up for all of that as it was just amazing and I couldn't put it down. The end was also just what I wanted and I really wish that I could read more about what happens next. As with the first volumes, I still didn't really enjoy the art as a lot of the characters still ended up looking the same and so it was hard to distinguish the differences between them which got confusing. I also felt that a lot of the action got taken out as a resolution seems to come quickly but there is plenty of build up to that final point which I enjoyed in this book. I overall really liked this book and will always remember it.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars!

OVERALL: I found this series to be quite fine as it was action packed and full of mystery and wonder. Personally it isn't an absolute favourite of mine but I did really enjoy the main plot line. I think the art made me like it less as it got confusing and so I might enjoy reading the original books. This series, seriously makes me want to read more about this world despite not finishing the Mortal Instruments series. I might need to try the series again.

I hope you guys enjoyed this style of series reviews as I have plenty more series that I would love to review in the future which will be in this style on Tuesdays.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe