Saturday, April 16, 2016

Mini Review Saturday: DC Comics

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is a collection of reviews of some DC comic trades that I have read. I like to pick up comics every now and again as I find them to be great fillers in between books I'm reading. I especially love reading about Batman because it is such a crazy world to be sucked into. So let us get right into the reviews!

Title: Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell
Author: Paul Dini & Joe Quinones
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: DC Comics
Goodreads Link: 
Sentence Summary: Two unlikely heroines; Black Canary and Zatanna, join forces to defeat a supernatural enemy.
Mini Review: I was very excited to read this standalone graphic novel since its release but personally I was a little bit disappointed. I was first introduced to Zatanna in the Complete Hush story arc and Black Canary in Birds of Prey series and absolutely loved them. Since I was so interested in these characters, I went on to do some research to discover they had a short story together. This was music to my ears as I was ready to learn more about them. The plot in this book, unfortunately fell a bit flat for me as it started off quite interesting but as the story progressed I began to lose interest in the plot and was simply continuing to finish the story. I think I would have liked it more if there was more build up and detail in the events that were taking place as things tended to move quite quickly and were pretty brief. Looking at this book from a different angle, I really enjoyed reading about these two strong heroines again as I got to see them in a different setting and learn more about their abilities which was really fascinating. I also really loved the art was it was so colour filled but had a nice simplicity to it. Overall, if DC decides to write more graphic novels along this plot, I don't think I would continue to read them as it didn't grip me enough but I am still very much intrigued by Black Canary and Zatanna separately and so I would be interested in checking out other arcs they may be involved with.
Star Rating: 3/5 Stars!


Title: Batman Adventures: Mad Love Deluxe Edition
Author: Paul Dini & Bruce Timm
Publication Year: 1993
Publisher: DC Comics
Goodreads Link: 
Sentence Summary: Harley Quinn is desperate for her lover (The Joker) to acknowledge her and so she decides to get rid of Batman, all by herself.
Mini Review: I absolutely love everything about Harley Quinn and so I figured I should educate myself by reading this essential read about her. I thought this was a great short story that gave insight into Harley’s origin story as well as a slight look into her relationship with the Joker. I do feel that Harley was not as strong in the beginning as she is now in her current issues but she was still very witty and entertaining. As I mentioned, this story definitely gives the readers a glimpse at Harley's relationship with the Joker which was obviously quite abusive and just as crazy as it is now in current portrayals. In real life, this would definitely not be acceptable treatment in relationships but in the comic world it is not too big of deal between these two villains and is put forward more to emphasise how insane their relationship is rather than to condone the behaviour. It’s probably the only thing I'm not too fond of when it comes to reading comics as I feel that in the older comics, it seems harder to find strong and independent woman. The thing that makes me enjoy this story more is seeing Harley get back on her feet every time the Joker tried to knock her down as it just made her stronger. She may be insane but she sure can be kick-ass at times too. I also really liked the art in this story as it was really colourful and fun to look at and worked really well with the plot. I'm glad that I finally read this issue and will definitely be checking more of her older story arcs as I would be interested in seeing more of how she became the character she is today.
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars!


Title: The Joker
Author: Brian Azzarello & Lee Bermejo
Publication Year: 2008
Publisher: DC Comics
Goodreads Link: 
Sentence Summary: The Clown Prince of Crime has once again been released from the Asylum and will stop at nothing to get back what was taken from him.
Mini Review: I was in a huge Joker phase at the time when I found this book. I was looking around for a new comic to read on Comixology but was desperate to read a story about the Joker and so when I spotted this graphic novel that was on sale at the time, I got pretty excited. I must say, I was really looking forward to read this story but unfortunately I was hugely disappointed. I could hardly understand the storyline and was just unsure where the whole thing was heading. Between the language and the art, it got really confusing and I had a hard time grasping what was really going on in the plot. The story pretty much follows a guy who ends up working with the Joker which sounded really interesting but unfortunately did not. I would have to agree with a few other reviewers who say this graphic novel was too overhyped and therefore did not meet their expectations as I completely felt the same way. I probably would not recommend this one to people because of the lack of story and meaning. Also the interpretation of the Joker in this plot was not the joker I came to love in other stories as he just seemed to be a generally crazy, random, violent person who randomly killed anyone in sight for fun which I just couldn't handle. In saying all of this, I did find that the art was an interesting style that I had not seen before. It did take a bit of getting used to and so for a while it was confusing but once I got the hang of it, I was able to really appreciate the unique style. Overall I'm glad I finally read it but was not satisfied with it and therefore probably would not recommend this one to people because of the lack of story and meaning.
Star Rating: 1.5/5 Stars!

So those are some of the DC comic trades that I have read. I hope to do more DC Comic reviews in the future but I plan to review whole series instead of each of the volumes individually. Let me know of some cool comics that you have been reading and I might just have to check them out. 

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe