Saturday, February 13, 2016

Mini Review Saturday: Adult Fiction

Hey Everyone,

For today's post I decided to do mini reviews on a few books I have read. I have chosen to make Saturdays a day where I just review 3 - 4 books that i have yet to review on this blog.  So here are some book reviews for three adult fiction books I have read.

Title: You're The One That I Want
Author: Giovanna Fletcher
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Penguin
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20877628-you-re-the-one-that-i-want
Sentence Summary: The story follows 3 best friends (Robert, Ben & Maddy) but as a love triangle begins to form; love, heartache and betrayal soon follow.
Mini Review: I found this book very interesting to read as it told from the perspective of Ben and Maddy at different points in their life but it also has that added view from Robert, in between chapters in the form of his wedding speech. I felt like this book much more relatable than Fletcher's previous book as I had more of a connection to these characters than with the characters in her last book. I definitely loved Ben the most in this story and definitely was on his side. A lot of the time I got annoyed at Maddy by the things she said or did but that didn't really stop me enjoying the story. I loved watching these characters grow from primary into after college. There were some predictable and cheesy moments but it didn't bother me and at times it did make me swoon. Finally I loved how the beginning and the end connected together to bring the story around a full circle. I really feel the writer's way of writing is getting better with every book and it getting me excited to read her latest book (Dream A Little Dream) as well as other work she may publish. This is definitely one I will recommend to my friends.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Author: Gregory Maguire
Publication Year: 2006
Publisher: Headline Review
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/824444.Wicked
Sentence Summary: Before Dorothy's house fell into OZ, There was a different story about a green skin girl named Elphaba who grew up misunderstood and feared as a wicked witch.
Mini Review: This book was very intriguing as it is quite a complex read with many layers in the story. The book is told in five parts with each part telling the story of Elphaba at different stages in her life from birth to college to Dorothy's unexpected arrival. Readers get to learn about her family and the life of OZ before she was even born as well as her upbringing and the journey to how she became the wicked witch of the west. Throughout the novel we get a closer look at the much hated character in the OZ franchise and learn more about her life and who she was before we met her in The Wizard Of OZ. The reader also gets a background look at the life in OZ and about all the suspicious things that were happening around the characters in this novel. There was more to the plot than I thought there would be and there is some confronting scenes that I didn't expect. It really is a beautifully written story and interpretation of the character who didn't have a background from the original books. A must read for all OZ fans.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Title: Emerald City And Other Stories
Author: Jennifer Egan
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Corsair
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13416232-emerald-city-and-other-stories
Sentence Summary: Eleven short stories from the perspectives of different kinds of people all with the intention of self discovery.
Mini Review: This was one of the first short story collection I've ever read and I really enjoyed it. Within each story you meet different characters from con artists to school girls as they go through experiences that everyone can relate to. I enjoyed a whole lot of the stories but my favourite was Emerald City. Egan has a beautiful writing style that is quite poetic. With a limited amount of words for each story, she is able to express emotions and create background and plot for characters that readers can connect with. She also tackles and brings up difficult topics such as obsessions and drugs that I don't seem to enjoy reading about but in this collection I was able to really understand the characters. This is a great sample of Egan's writing and really makes a reader interested in reading her other works. I will definitely be checking out her other books and highly recommend this collection of short stories to anyone looking for a quick read with a lot of depth.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars

I hope you all enjoyed these mini reviews. I am hoping to catch up on my reviews and write reviews on all the books I have read. Let me know if there is a book you would like me to read and review and I'll try and get to it as quickly as I can.

Hope you're all having a great day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe