Monday, April 14, 2014

Review: The Tiny Wife By Andrew Kaufman



Hi Everybody, 

Today’s post is a review on a book that I read this year that I REALLY LOVED, The Tiny Wife by Andrew Kaufman. I read this book towards the end of January and was just so captivated by the writing and the story that I just couldn't believe I had not heard of this book before. It is only a small book with less than 100 pages so it didn't take long to finish but as soon as I finished it, I just thought how amazing it was that I wanted to read it again.

The Tiny Wife is narrated by a man whose wife is at the bank when a robbery occurs. The robbery is odd kind of robbery as the thief doesn't take any money but takes something of sentimental value from each person in the bank. After the robber leaves, strange events start to occur to each of the people who were in the bank such as a tattoo coming to life, a husband turning into a snowman or in the case of the narrator’s wife, Stacey, who is getting smaller and smaller in size every day.

I picked up this book from Dymocks for only $2 as it was their last copy and as soon as I saw it, I just fell in love with the cover. It is so simple yet the little details make it wonderful. So I read the blurb and was like “this story sound really weird but strangely interesting” and so for that price I couldn't pass it up and bought it. On my way home, I had to wait about 30 minutes for a bus so I started to read the book; it’s only a tiny book so I figured it would be a nice read as I waited.

I must say that from the very beginning, this book really captivated me. The story was so intriguing that I didn't know what to expect in each chapter and so I kept reading even after my bus arrived and finished it as soon as I got home. There is so much I loved about this book but the main thing I loved was the mini stories in the book. There was the main story of Stacey but in between there are stories of each person from the bank. In each of these short subplots, it stated what each person got taken from them and what happened to them afterwards. Sometimes it was shocking and even sad but overall I found the stories wonderful and creative. The book is also accompanied by silhouette images to help create the atmosphere of the story. These images really help create the picture of each character’s story in your head as you read, and if you know me, I just love when there is so much more than just text inside of a book. It makes the experience so much more enjoyable and I end up understanding the story better.

Overall I cannot think of anything that I did not like about this book, I found the concept, so original and so intriguing that page after page, I just kept wondering what would happen next. Every part of the story was a surprise and the ending was amazing. I bought this book thinking it would be a nice simple read which it was but then again it was also very complicated and makes you really think about personal possessions and how they affect our own lives. The growth of each of the characters as they discover more about themselves was really amazing and beautiful.

I loved this book so much more than I thought I would and give it a 5/5. I am so surprised I had not heard anything about this book and this author as it really should get more credit. I am really looking forward to reading more of this author’s work and seeing what other ideas and concepts he expresses. I definitely recommend this book to everyone as I’m sure it can appeal to anyone, no matter what kind of books you read.

I hope you liked my review and I have another post coming your way with a few updates on what I plan for the next coming weeks. I also have a ton of book hauls headed your way which I am really excited about.

Keep Reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe