Monday, April 7, 2014

Review: Divergent Series By Veronica Roth

Hey Everyone,

Today’s post is on a series that is getting a lot of publicity and praise lately, The Divergent Trilogy which is written by Veronica Roth. I finished this series a couple of weeks ago with hardly any breaks and so I just read the story of each book back to back.

If you don’t know about this series, it’s pretty much a dystopian novel based in the future of Chicago, where the city is divided into 4 sections or “Factions” as they call them. The story is told from the perspective of a young girl named Beatrice “Tris” Prior and recalls her journey as she decides the fate of her future and who she wants to be.

I found this series as an exciting read as the events started to unfold from book to book.

Let’s start with the first book “Divergent”. I was recommended to read this book after a work friend had read it and found it interesting and thought I would enjoy it. I had seen the book constantly at work but never thought to pick it up. My friend lent me her copy and to my surprise I did enjoy it. As I read Divergent I found myself interested in the concept of the factions and began to think to myself how the explanation of its creation seemed to make sense like it could possible happen. As I continued to read the book I became more and more captivated by the story and the writing. It didn’t take me long to finish the book and I was eager to read the next one to continue on with the story. Out of the 3 books, I enjoyed this one the most as the majority of the book is learning about each faction and their structures. I found all of this really fascinating and it made me start wondering what it would be like to live in that world. The only real negative I have is that I found the events that occurred in the ending to be a bit random as I did not feel any build up towards it which made me feel a little uncomfortable with where the story was headed. Even now as I read back over it I find myself thinking how rushed it makes the book feel that there is just this huge plot twist towards the end. Throughout the book there are tiny hints every now and again but I just didn’t see it coming. Although as I read the next book I found that the end ended up flowing nicely to make way for the next book.

The next book is “Insurgent”. Like the first book, I did enjoy this one but not as much as “Divergent” as I found myself struggling to follow the story at some points. I felt it had a very strong start as it starts to recall the events that occur after the ending of “Divergent” which includes a couple of twists here and there which I felt myself enjoying as it kept me from just abandoning the book when I felt frustrated with the story. I feel that this book is the most action packed one out of the 3 books as it really is the core of the series as most of the fatal events happen in this one. I don’t want to give anything away in case you haven’t read it yet but I will say that a lot of different things occurred that I found even myself having difficulty keeping up with it all. I loved the relationships between the characters, the most in this book. You start to really see the personality of each person and how they connect to each other even those who are seen as enemies which I really enjoyed. I have a few mixed emotions about this one, as I’m not too sure how I felt after reading it. I did like the way it ended as it makes you really want to read the next one but again I found myself feeling uncomfortable with turn of events as I still felt that some of the plot lines were rushed and there was no real build up towards them.

The final book is “Allegiant”, the final phase of the series. I’ll be straight about this one, out of the 3 books this is the one I liked the least. Don’t get me wrong the ideas and concepts for the story were great but for the majority of the book, I found myself thinking “Wow that was quick” or “That seemed way too simple and easy”. Events in this book were just way too rushed and so I had a much harder time reading it as it just felt like the story had no direction.  There were some highlights that kept me reading such as the strengthening of each character’s relationships with one another but I just couldn't make myself enjoy the book as a whole. Another thing I had trouble with was the structure of the book as each chapter rotated its perspective between Tris and Four. This made me continually get confused about who I’m reading about. I kept finding myself re reading pages as I would forget whose view I was reading from. I did like the idea that I could finally see the world through Four’s eyes but it was just too difficult to keep track of. There isn't much I can say without giving anything away but I will say this, that Veronica Roth made some good choices for the story and for its ending.  Trust me, you will not see what is coming in the last couple of chapters, which kind of makes up for the struggle I had reading this book.

Overall, I do recommend this series as I enjoyed it as a whole despite all the negatives I have stated and honestly, I would read it again. I love dystopian themes and I love having a glimpse into a possible future. If I’m not mistaken, I believe this is Veronica Roth’s first work and so I congratulate her on her fantastic work.

I know this series is highly recommended and reviewed at the moment but I thought why not I give my own review on it since I just finished it. I am really looking forward to the upcoming release of the movie of the first book “Divergent” which has already been released around the world but has yet to be in cinemas in Australia. I am also looking forward to the release of the book “Four” which is little novellas of events in the series from the perspective of Four. Each novella is available as an eBook but the book will be released later on this year which is very exciting.

Hope you enjoyed my review and I have another post for you very soon J


Keep Reading J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe