Monday, April 21, 2014

LARGEST BOOK HAUL YET!


Hey Everybody,

Today’s post is a MASSIVE Book haul of all the books I’ve bought in the last month (well the ones I haven’t shown yet) and so this post might be a bit longer than my usual posts. I’ll try to be detailed about each book but not ramble on too much. Honestly a lot of these books I bought because of book tubers and so I may not know a lot about them but I’ll try my best. So let’s get started because as you can see from the top photo, we have a lot to get through.

I’ll start off with the books I’m currently reading which many of you may be surprised that I haven’t read yet.


Title: The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

So I bought the first two books (City of Bones & City of Ashes), and you might be saying “Louise , how have you not read these books yet?” and let me explain. I heard about this series a couple of years or so ago from a friend of mine and he didn't explain the plot but just raved about how great it was but I figured it was a paranormal story that wouldn't interest me so I never picked it up and then I saw it at work and everyone talked about it and I just thought it’s so hyped up which gave me high expectations for the series and I didn't want to be disappointed. I figured I’d never read them until about a week ago.  If you have read this series, you know that the newest book is coming out next month and at work we received posters to promote it. I saw these posters and counted that there is about 5-6 weeks until the newest book (City of Heavenly Fire) comes out and I thought, why not pick it up now. I set myself a challenge to finish the current 5 books before the new one comes out so I can just jump right into it.

This series follows the story of Clary who one day discovers that she is more than just an ordinary girl. She meets these people called Shadowhunters, and realises that she is the only one who can see them. Events start to unfold after this occurs such as her mother going missing and her home getting broken into and so she sets out accompanied by Jace (A Shadowhunter) to get answers about who she is and also to find out what has happened to her mother.

So I've already started to read City of Bones and I must say that I LOVE it so much. I’m really surprised with the writing and plot line as it’s so beautifully written and detailed that I can really imagine what is going on. I’m about ¾ of the way in the book and hope to finish the book today so I can start on City of Ashes tomorrow. I’m really glad I picked this up and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I just can’t believe I never thought to read this series until now. If you haven’t read it, you have to pick it up; it is amazing, creative and just wonderful. I am really enjoying it so far. Once I've finished the series I will be writing a review, so look out for that.

The next book is one that I finished last week;




Title: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I won’t go into too much detail about this book, as I will be posting a review in the coming weeks. The book is set in 1999 and follows the story of Lincoln who works for a newspaper company. His job is to read all the emails of the employees to make sure they are not misusing their company email. He stumbles across these two women who constantly use their email for their own personal use but instead of reporting them he begins to keep reading their emails until he finds himself falling for one of them. WHAT?! I know right, it just sounds like an amazing story and IT IS. This is my first Rainbow Rowell book and it is actually the first one she has written. I loved this book and it is definitely a favourite of mine now. The writing was fabulous and the tone of the book constantly stayed light and was hardly dark besides a couple of bits here and there. I definitely recommend this book and am really looking forward to reading all of Rainbow Rowell’s other books. As I said I will be writing a review on this book in the coming weeks so be sure to keep an eye out for that.

The next 2 books, I actually read a couple of year ago but didn't own them and decided to pick them up because I really enjoyed them.





Title: Vampire Academy & Frostbite Graphic Novels By Richelle Mead

I haven’t read the book series even though I do own them but when I saw there were graphic novels when I was in the library once, I just knew I have to read them. The series follows the story of Rose who is half human half vampire. She is the protector of her best friend, Lissa who is actually Vampire Royalty but after running away with Lissa, she loses her role and has to earn it back by going back to the Academy for training. A lot of crazy stuff happens and I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. I really love these graphic novels and am excited to read the rest of the series this way. I will probably read the actual books eventually but right now I really enjoy reading the story this way. I already own the 3rd book, Shadow Kiss and am looking forward to reading it and the rest of the series if they continue to make the other books in graphic novels.

Now onto the books I have yet to read; I’m going to categorise these books by their author as I have a few books by the same author. So let’s start with one that everyone knows:

Author: John Green
Books:

An Abundance of Katherines: Story of Colin who has an interest in girls with the name Katherine and experiences heart ache from all of them but sets out to prove that he will find the right girl, named Katherine.


Looking For Alaska : Story of Miles who lives an ordinary life until he meets Alaska who changes his life.


Paper Towns: Story of Quentin who sets out to discover where the girl he loves has disappeared to.


Let It Snow: Compilation of 3 holiday winter short stories written by 3 authors; John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle.

I honestly don’t really know much about what these books are about but they are very popular and were on sale so I decided to pick them up. I first heard about John Green from a friend of mine who says he is amazing. It was only after Fault in Our Stars started to get popular did I decide that I wanted to read the books. I am really looking forward to reading these books and going into them a little blind is all part of the fun so I hope they are good reads. I will be reading Fault in Our Stars this week as my work mate has been telling me I have to read it and my sister read it and said it was good so I’m excited to see what everyone has been talking about. I will have a review of that book once I have finished it.

Author: David Levithan
Books:


Love Is The Higher Law: Follows 3 people who don’t know much about each other but one event brings them together... 9/11.


How They Met & Other Stories: A compilation of 18 short stories about love and all kinds of love

I have heard great things about these books and as I said in a previous haul, a friend of mine introduced me to this author. He was the one who actually recommended How They Met to me which I thought sounded really good because I like reading short stories especially when they are about LOVE. Honestly I read about Love is the Higher Law on goodreads and didn't really want to read it because I could just imagine all the emotions and feelings in the story that I wasn't sure if I was prepared to read about an event that shook the world but I have heard good things about it and I saw it at Dymocks for 75% off so I thought, why not? I will probably read it eventually. I am excited to read David Levithan’s books which I have mentioned previously since I purchased Every Day as his books seem so emotion packed and quite original. I’m looking forward to reading how he writes.

Author: Brian Selznick
Books:


The Invention of Hugo Cabret: Follows the story of Hugo who lives in the walls of a Paris Train station but his world changes when his story collides with that of a little girl and an old man who run a toy booth in the same station.


Wonderstruck: follows the story of Ben and Rose who wish their world was different. Set 50 years apart they both set out to find what their lives have been missing.

I am SUPER excited about these books for many reasons but the big reasons are; 1. They sound really interesting and intriguing and 2. The stories are a combination of words and images. At the moment I am really fascinated and in love with the idea of images and words working together to tell a story so I am really excited to read these books. They are quite chunky books and so I wouldn't be able to take them with me as I travel to and from work which is where I do most of my reading and so I plan to just dedicate days to reading them in one sitting. I honestly was not planning on buying Hugo Cabret as I had heard more about Wonderstruck on Book tube especially by Carrie Fletcher. I had ordered Wonderstruck from work but it took a little longer than I wanted it to, to come in and I saw Hugo on the shelf and decided why not pick that one up while I wait for the other one. I’m really glad I bought it now that I have it because it is beautiful and I can’t wait to read it.

Author: Mhairi McFarlane
Books:


You Had Me At Hello: Story of two friends, Ben & Rachel, who were inseparable until it fell apart and then 10 years later they reunite but Ben has moved on while Rachel hasn't.


Here’s Looking At You: Story of Anna, who is happy with where her life is heading despite all the obstacles she has been through in the past but then when someone from her past reappears and seems to be a changed man she is questioning whether she can trust him again?

Honestly one of the reasons I bought these books was because of the beautiful covers and book titles. Once I read the back of each book, I was sold. I've been looking for some good chick literature to read lately, some corny love stories and I have a feeling these books will fulfill my wishes. From reviews I have read on the books, they seem really good and have a good amount of humour as well as drama in the books which I like. I can’t wait to see how they develop the character relationships within the stories. I really hope I like these books as I really need some new love books to add to my collection.

Author: Patrick Ness
Books:


A Monster Calls: Conor is a boy who is going through a tough time as his mother is sick. After experiencing a number of nightmares, he is visited one night by a monster. This is no ordinary monster like in his nightmares but one that wants one thing from him and that is the truth.


More Than This: Follows the story of a boy who dies while drowning and finds himself in a deserted world. It’s his journey as he discovers what reality is and what is left for him.

Patrick Ness books have just fascinated me over the last few weeks as I’m starting to see them pop up on book tube. I bought A Monster Calls, as I expected it to be a dark story by the cover and the illustrations within. I am just intrigued and eager to find out what will happen next with this monster mentioned. I also like, as I've previously mentioned, that there are illustrations as well as words to tell the story which I think will help develop a deeper emotion. More Than This was more of a spontaneous buy as I was walking through Dymocks, just seeing what was out and when I saw this book, I remember people talking about it and how fascinating it was but I always just told myself that I would buy it eventually. After walking around, I was still drawn to the book and ended up buying it. I love this cover and the fact is hardback without a dust jacket. I’m looking forward to reading this book especially since watching Little Book Owl’s video on YouTube reviewing the book. I’m excited to see what she was talking about and sharing my thoughts with all of you. I’m planning to pick up the trilogy also by Patrick Ness, I’m just looking for the right covers I want but I am interested in reading the series.

Now on to the other fiction books I got :)



Title: Star-Crossed By Frances Kelly & Penny Murray

This book is a compilation of 18 short stories of some the literature’s most famous lovers in history such as Romeo & Juliet and Heathcliff & Cathy. When I first bought this book, I thought it was going to be short stories about star-crossed lovers that is inspired by these famous fictional couples but reading the back I realise that it’s just retelling those stories which kind of bums me out but I will still be interested to read these stories as I honestly don’t know some of them. Of course I have heard of them but I don’t know the details of these relationships so that will be interesting to read about. It may not be what I expected it to be but I’m still glad I bought it. I’m glad that I get to familiarise myself with these love stories that readers have loved for a years and years.



Title: Thirteen Reasons Why By Jay Asher

The book follows the story of Clay who one day discovers a package of cassette tapes on his front door. They are recorded by a girl named Hannah that he went to school with who had committed suicide. As he listens to the tapes he realises that she is explaining the thirteen reasons why she killed herself, and finds out that he himself is one of those reasons. I am really excited about this book since I bought it but haven’t brought myself to read it yet. The story sounds really interesting and it seems that it has a little darkness to it which I enjoy reading as I love getting so many different emotions from a book. This will definitely be on my TBR for May which is so exciting. Another thing about this book that excites me is the fact that you can actually listen to the cassette tapes online at the website written on the book which makes the story more interactive and also makes the book feel almost real which I have enjoyed about books since I read Cathy’s Book last year which is very interactive (check it out on good reads). I’m eager to start this book but probably won’t get to it till the beginning of May.


Title: All The Truth That's In Me By Julie Berry

The story follows Judith who disappears with her best friend but after only 2 years, she is the only one to return. She lives in silence until an event shakes the town where secrets start to reappear. She must choose to stay silent or speak up. I find this story to be very intriguing as it has a dark element as well as a hint of mystery intertwined into the plot. I came across this book at work and thought the cover was just beautiful and when I saw only one line at the back of the book, "I am forbidden from telling", I was hooked and just couldn't see why I shouldn't buy it. I have yet to see a review on this one so I am excited to read it with no spoilers or expectations. The chapters are really short and i'm sure it won't take long to get through so hopefully, I can get to it soon.


Title: Room By Emma Donoghue

So I have heard a lot about this book and I was really afraid that it would be too detailed for me so I never really wanted to read it and just read what it was about online. I went into Dymocks last week and saw that they had it on discount for only $6 and thought, fine i'll buy it. I will not be reading it soon unless it comes up from the TBR jar just because I don't think I am mentally ready for what i might read. If you haven't heard about this book, basically it is told from the perspective of a 5 year old boy who lives in a single room with his mum. To the boy this room is the world and he doesn't know any better about the outside world but actually he and his mum are captive in this room by a man. I'm afraid of the detail that may be in the book so I am not looking forward to reading this book soon, but I have heard that it is very captivating and moving and that I should read it. I saw it for cheap and just had to take the plunge.


Title: Pure By Karen Krossing

I still do not understand what this book is about even after reading the blurb like a bunch of times but I keep seeing it whenever I go to Dymocks and so I just had to buy especially because it was only $2. I will be going into this book completely blind as the only thing I know about it is that it is set in the future. I am looking forward to reading it as it looks interesting despite how much I dislike the cover. If you would like to attempt to understand what this one is about feel free to check it out on goodreads and let me know what you think it means. 


Title: Hana Kimi Vol. 4,5,6 Bind Up By Hisaya Nakajo

This manga series follows the story of a girl who moves into a boarding school for boys and lives in the school pretending to be a boy as she becomes closer to a guy that she cares about. I watched the Asian TV drama a while ago and I loved it so much. Last year I stumbled upon the first bind up with the first 3 volumes in it but have been unable to find this volume until about last week when I went to Dymocks. I got so excited I knew I just had to buy it. I still need to collect the rest of the series but I am looking forward to reading the manga and comparing it to the TV drama.

The last two books are the first books of 2 series that I wanna start reading this year.


Title: The Selection By Kiera Cass

As I said this is the first book in the Selection Trilogy. I have heard mixed reviews about this series, with some people enjoying it and other finding it boring, so I am interested to see what I think about it. The series follows the story of a competition that takes place where girls that are selected must win the heart of a prince. America is the main character, and unlike other girls she doesn't want to be apart of the competition despite being chosen to take part. That is until she meets the prince. I am interested in the plot line from what I have read and feel there will be a kind of fairy tale element to this series which I always enjoy. It sounds kind of like the Bachelor (the reality tv show) but i'm sure it will be very different. The second book is already out in stores and the final book is being released later this year. Hopefully I start this series before the new book comes out but it is definitely something I will begin reading this year.


Title: Legend By Marie Lu

Again, this is the first book of the Legend Trilogy. I have heard nothing but amazing things about this book but whenever I heard a review it seemed too action packed for me until I got a chance to read the blurb for myself and completely loved what I read. The story is told in two perspectives, Day & June. Day is a boy trying to escape his past and June is out to seek the person who killed her brother. They find each other and are instantly drawn to one another without knowing their pasts. Although there is one thing we know that they don't know and that is that Day is the killer of June's brother. WHAT?! It sounds completely insane and that is just what it reads on the back of the book. I am really looking forward to reading this trilogy and am glad that all books are out already so i can just marathon through them. I'm excited to find out how this story pans out as i'm sure it will be amazing. I actually got my manager to pick up this book as well as it sounded like something she'd enjoy. She has started to read it so I looking forward to hearing what she thinks.

THAT IS THE END of the this book haul. I'm sorry that it is so long but I figured I owed you guys for not posting a lot last week. 

I hope you all had a great easter and I hope you enjoyed this Large book haul :) if you have read any of these books, let me know what you think in the comments below.


Keep Reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe