Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review: Eleanor & Park By Rainbow Rowell


This book was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!

The story follows these two characters (Eleanor & Park) from the first day they meet. They are both seen as misfits to everyone at school and through some common interests, they eventually fall for each other.

Before I started reading this book, I thought it was going to be a light contemporary read with a cute love story but as I was reading I came to discover that it was so much more than that. The story involves the background of the characters and their lifestyles which I thought gave the book a deeper meaning. I was very surprised with some of the things I came across because there were no hints of them from what I had read in the synopsis which I thought was great as it made the book much more interesting. 

The writing was so flowing and was so easy to understand. I've read one other book by Rainbow Rowell which I also really loved which was “Attachments” so I was happy to see a similar flow in writing in this book. Rainbow Rowell is able to place deep meanings in such short sentences and paragraphs which I find really beautiful.
 

The plot of this book is also so realistic that you can imagine that there are probably people in the world that experience the same things as these characters. I think that having a book being so realistic, makes it so much more captivating as it is almost relatable to most readers.

I love reading cutesy love stories but this book is more than that which I didn't expect myself to enjoy so much. I loved the dual perspectives in the one chapter, as you get the different/similar point of views of each of the characters when it came to certain events which I thought was great. You also get to see what Eleanor & Park see in each other when they are together such as their feelings, thoughts and insecurities. Their relationship is probably one of my favourites that I have ever read as they show that you don’t need elaborate things and dates in order to be happy as a couple. I loved that minimal aspect of their relationship. 

All the characters in this book seemed so realistic such as their families and the people they went to school with. I particularly loved Park’s parents as they were so in love and loved their son very much which I just thought was amazing to see. I loved all the little jokes they made and the mum’s Asian accent because they made the book so much more fun to read. There were obviously characters you don’t enjoy but it's all part of the story to give you deeper feelings while reading.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone as it is way more than what it presents itself to be. Before I read this book, people would say that if you like “The Fault In Our Stars”(TFIOS)then you should read this book. I don’t completely agree with that but I can see what they are trying to say. Both books have that deep element but they are also completely different. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed TFIOS but I definitely loved this one way more. If you didn't enjoy TFIOS, don’t hesitate in picking up this book because of the comparison as it is it's own story and you may enjoy it.

This is definitely not the last Rainbow Rowell book I will be reading as I have loved the books I’ve read of hers so far. So I’m excited to pick up “Fangirl” in the coming weeks as well as her new book “Landline” as I’ve heard nothing but great things about these books and I’m sure they won’t disappoint.

A GIGANTIC 5 OUT OF 5 STARS!!!!!

Keep Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe