Saturday, June 14, 2014

Review: Legend Trilogy By Marie Lu




Hey Everybody,

Today’s post is a review of a book series that I had just finished and am absolutely in love with, The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu. I first heard about these books on youtube from a few booktubers. At first I didn’t really think I would enjoy the story from what I heard until I actually saw “Legend” in the store and read the synopsis on the back. From then I was hooked and just wanted to read to see what happens. I feel that there is no clear way to describe this series without giving spoilers but I’ll try.  

In the midst of a war between the two halves of America (The Colonies & The Republics), The series  follows the two main characters (June and Day) who come from two completely different backgrounds.  Both from the same side (Republics); June is raised wealthy and Day is raised struggling.  Their paths cross under unfortunate circumstances but despite their established destinies they continue to be drawn towards one another.

It is a dystopian series that is told from the perspective of both June and Day in the form of rotating chapters. This series is extremely action packed and continues to surprise its readers with each chapter. I know I gave this series a pretty brief synopsis but I feel that’s the best way to go into this series.

Let’s start with the first book, “Legend”. Before I even began to read the series, I had recommended it to my co-worker who enjoys reading dystopian books like I do. She then read the first book and completely loved it. I read Legend straight after she told me how good it was and absolutely loved it too. I later realised that so much more happened in the book than I expected as I didn’t read any book reviews or summaries going into it. The blurb on the back simply states a minor aspect of the book and I enjoyed it even more with all the twists and turns the book presented. The setting of the story seemed really dark whenever Day was speaking and it seemed to get a little lighter when June spoke which distinguished the differences in their lifestyles. I loved learning about each of these characters and could feel the emotions of both perspectives. June’s story started off a bit slower than Day’s did and only started to pick up once the two of them finally met. On the other hand, Day’s story was captivating from the first chapter and you could really feel his struggle through his words. As the chapters went on I began to speculate what may happen next and almost every time, I was wrong. Once I finished the book, I was just in awe of how all the events unfolded despite how devastating some of them were. Nothing seemed rushed and everything seemed to fit in place and made sense. I gave this book a 5/5 stars and just could not imagine what would happen in the next book.

The second book, “Prodigy” immediately picked up the story from where “legend” left it. This book was even better than Legend in so many ways from the development of June and Day’s relationship to the subplot of the war. Everything was just taken to a new level and you begin to get a better understanding of the world they live in. Like the first book, there were so many plot twists in this book that I was just completely engaged by the story and just couldn’t stop reading. For a large amount of the book, June and Day are separated.  We get perspectives from two different settings, with Day in one city and June in another city. This book got me feeling all kinds of emotions and also got me questioning the decisions and views of the characters. I couldn’t tell whose side I was on more until the very end where it became more clear who was good and who was bad. This book also left on a huge emotional twist which I did not see coming and got me all choked up. I just could not wait to dive into the 3rd book and find out how this series ends. I obviously had to give this book a 5/5 stars, there was no way I could give it anything less.

The third and final book, “Champion” would have to say was my favourite out of the 3 books. The story is fast forward to 8 months after the end of Prodigy. June and Day are separated for the most part of this book and so we get both perspectives of what they have doing during their time apart and now that they have reunited how they are feeling. The story of this final book, mainly revolves around the war between the Republics and the Colonies. I don’t want to say much about the story line of this book as I know it contains spoilers of the previous books. All I can say is that this was definitely a satisfying conclusion to this fabulous series. It was definitely not what I expected and it worked so perfectly. I did get all the feelings in this book and even shed a tear or two towards the end. The story was absolutely beautiful with action and romance all in one. I could not have asked for a better way to end this series although it did get me wanting a fourth book just based on the ending. Of course I gave this book a 5/5 stars and gave me a huge book hangover by the end where I had to take 2 days off reading for it all to sink in.

Overall this series was beautifully set out and written by Marie Lu and constantly got me wanting more and more with each book. In my opinion the books just got better and better with each addition. It is a well deserved 5 star series that I would recommend to anyone who likes to read action as well as have a little romance mixed in there. I didn’t feel bored with anything that happened and nothing was predictable. My new favourite series by far and I’m so glad I heard about this book through the booktubing community.

I’ve also heard that a movie is in the works which is set to be released in 2016 if I’m not mistaken. It would be interesting to see how they create this world for film as well as who they would cast for the characters although I’d imagine it would be quite difficult to do this series justice especially with all the details of each city and character. So I’m looking forward to hear more about the film development.

Hope you enjoyed my review and hope it was understandable as I didn’t want to give away any spoilers so it’s a bit confusing. Also I want to apologise for not posting a post in so long, work has been super hectic. I have decided to at least post one review each month as well as a book haul of the 10 exciting books I got in the month at the end of the month.
If you wanna keep updated with me I leave mini reviews on goodreads, instagram and twitter which are all linked on the side bar.


I hope you all have a wonderful day and Keep Reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe